Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My thoughts on being fit

Last May, I joined a Gym. I suppose alot of people think I was mad start getting fit at 41. People usually have started earlier or not at all. But its one of my better decision.

I guess I walked a bit but I didn't take fitness seriously. And I suppose the fact, that I have Cerebral Palsy which affects my left arm and my left leg to a lesser extent, I didn't think I would beniefit from it. Another factor that stopped me was that I'm unemployed and donn't have much disposable income.

One day, I was visiting my friend Mary. She showed me the front cover of Spokeout, the newsletter of the Irish Wheelchair Association, because our mutal friend clare was on it. I read the newsletter and came across an article about the gym in the IWA, it cost 200 Euro for members of the public to join, and if you were a member or staff it only cost 50 Euro. Well the article was about how a woman had gained alot from joining. So I picked up the phone and decided to check it out.

So I went to the IWA, with not alot of hope. My friend with a similar form of Cerebral Palsy had told me about her experiences in a local gym. But she has more use of her left arm and her left leg is more affected than me. So It wasn't the same. Nicky the Sports manager showed me around. Firstly I tried the treadill, I struggled the lowest setting. Richie one of the instructors drew up a fitness programme for me. A week later after signing up as a member of the IWA I joined the gym.

Because of wearing a splint on my left arm(when I was younger) and not really using it much, its muscles became wasted. I suppose over the years I did get more mobility. I can stretch it out use my first finger and there was a time I could use my index finger, but my balance isn't good so I've fallen alot and I think I might have damaged it. So for the first few months I had to get one of the instructors to strap my left into a glove so I could use the different machines. Going to the gym made me thinking about going swimming (not that I'm a strong swimmer).

But as the months progressed after continuing to go the gym twice a week, I have noticed the changes. The increased muscle tone in my left arm. My balance has improved. I can now use most of the machines in the gym without the instructors help. I have recently used the leg curl but the instructor has to help me get into position. All the instructors use me as an example of what can be done. Another thing I've noticed is that my mind seems to be more focused I useto write but for a long time I had writers block, but since joining the gym my muse has returned.
I've set myself a goal it's to take part in the 2012 London Paraplympics!

No comments: