Monday, March 9, 2009

why I don't like

It annoys the hell out of me when people say or write the phrase Disabled. You might think it's just the editor thinking its a quick way of using as few of words as possible. But I find it very offensive, because phrases like disabled artists send out a negative message. They don't write Able-bodied or non disabled artist. Whether the artist in question has a disability should be of no importance, its only the merits of their ability should count. I think that certain people using the phrases disabled and able-bodied are being discriminatory. I will concede that I am an artist and I do have a disability, but it doesn't define who I am!

Using the phrases disabled and ablebodied implies that there is a difference and the latter is inferior to the former. That's why I prefer the phrase Person with a disability, its putting the person which is more important first and the disability if it needs to be mention secondary. I don't want anyone to refer to me as a disabled artist or that that my disability is used to promote my sketches paintings or writings, because if its good it should speak for itself!

No comments: