Monday, December 15, 2008

My review of 2008

As this year draws to a close, I thought I'd share with you some of my thoughts.
Well the biggest highlight for me was my holiday in Lanazrote. I went with the two Pats. We went on the second week of August. The weather was great, well let's face it anything was better than the shit weather we had in Ireland. I think a week is too short, but than again it's better than nothing. The lads are great fun Pat Quinn (whose my drinking and swiming buddy) and Pat Burke who doesn't swim or drink (but likes pubs and insists the apartment we go to, must have a pool). Lanazrote has plenty of pub and a great variety of restuarants, from Mexican to chinese. The prices are quite reasonable. There are plenty of Irish bars, in my opinion the best was The Dubliner, the first night we went there there was a band and believe it or not the lead singer came from Ballybrack!! One of the nights we went to see Scotty from Lanazrote, a very funny comedian who claimed to be half Irish and half Scottish (which he said caused him a lot of problems, because his Irish half wants to drink all day and his Scottish half will do anything to avoid paying) You could get pints for two Euro!! The beach was fanastic, we thought we were paradise. Pool in apartment and a big shallow end (I've found in that most of the places, I've visited don't and for somebody who loves swiming but isn't a strong swimmer can be a bit off putting) We went to a ranch texas night which was a cowboy and indian themed night, it was very enjoyable. Pat Burke went on the bucking bronco, I did a bit of line dancing.

In May, I joined the Irish Wheelchair Association gym if you're a member it only cost 50 Euro and for members of the public it is 100 Euro (if you can tell me where the fees cheaper, I'll sign up). I remember my first day, how I struggled to even stand on the treadmill at its lowest setting. It was a tuff slog trying to get through the schedule. I thought at 41 it be counterproductive, but I proved myself so wrong. Now I can use most of the machines in the gym and besides making me fit, I find my mind more focussed.

I decided to take up an evening class in Newpark. I orgina;;y signed up for a writing for profit, thinking that I might be able to use my journalisic skills and do a bit of freelancing. But they couldn't get enough numbers for that class so they offered me an alternative of a writer's workshop. As it turned out I found the teacher John Kelly to be very insightful and my fellow classmates to be very talented. I'm looking forward to the second term in January'09.

The lowest point of 2008 had to be the loss of two friends David and Evelyn. Dave was one of the most selfless guys I've ever met. Although he had Down Sydrome, he had a very positive outlook in life. I remember when I use to visit him I would leave in a very positive mood. He'd know what was happening who got what planning permssion. I was very sad when I'd heard he'd had a massive heart attack and died. I think the whole of Sallynoggin was at his funeral and I thought it was very fitting that the sister had placed a picture of him holding a pint, on the coffin. Evelyn was another person who I'll sworely miss. She was a lovely lady and like David was a very active member of the community of Sallynoggin. She'd had a hard life lost two husbands and her daughter had be killed in a freak accident in the Kiliney Court Hotel

But I can't end on a sad note, the 175th anniversary of the Society of Saint Vincent De Paul, which was heldin Croke Park was a very uplifting experience. As a member I feel its given me new focus and I feel better able to deal with the work ahead. I want to wish my readers a happy christmas and may your wishes be forfilled in '09.

No comments: